You will probably have a working life of 40 years or more to look back on. Many people
will have worked for several employers over these years and are likely to have moved house
several times - so it’s quite possible you have lost touch with your past employers or
not always told insurance companies of your change of address.

It is worth tracking down any lost pensions sooner than later. It could be a fruitful
exercise and of course any extra cash could come in handy. The Pension Tracing Service can help. Indeed its very existence is testament to the large number of lost
pensions out there. Contact them at or call 0845 600 2537. It’s a free government service and they are there to help you.

It is also a good idea to draw up a “Pensions CV” which lists your various periods of service with different employers. You can then use this CV to show how much income you can expect from any associated pension schemes by asking each pension company for a forecast.